Security is one of the most crucial features of a mobile device. In fact, modern devices are designed to allow users to login into the system biometrically or by scanning some parts of their bodies such as the face, palm, finger or iris. This has influenced many iOS app developers in Singapore to make efforts to integrating such features more. Biometric authentications such as face ID are very valuable as it gives the user as they are faster, convenient and more secure.
Studies have shown that user requires easy, quick and unobtrusive signup
process that does not detract user enjoyment of the app. Here we are going to
focus on Integrating Face ID into your app.
What is Face ID?
Face ID is a new iPhone authentication feature that uses neural networks that are contained in a dual-core A11 chip. The neural network is designed to process facial recognition data. The chip utilizes a powerful camera that comes with Apple’s device to scan mathematical model of your face and compares with an already available image that you had registered with. Your authentication image is stored within the phone memory as private data that cannot be sent to the Apple’s servers.
Integrating Face ID into your app:
You can now develop ios app Singapore that incorporate biometric authentication. Apple introduced biometric authentication in iPhone 5S and iOS 7 and in iOS 8 Apple made possible for developers to incorporate touch ID in their applications. With the
introduction of iPhone X, the focus shift from Touch ID to Facial ID.
The touch ID feature is based on Apple’s framework call Local Authentication, which allows the developer to incorporate biometric authentication on iOS applications for security reasons. Local Authentication features all functionalities that the user may require in the Context of Face ID or Touch ID for an iOS operating system. It allows the application programmer to come up with an application that prompt user for authentication and direct the user to place his finger on the home button.
Local Authentication Framework:
To be able to use local authentication framework in your iOS application, you need to LocalAuthentication Framework to your project. You can add the local Authentication framework to your setting.
Once added, you can import LocalAuthentication file on your project. Note that Local Authentication Framework is a small file with only one class called LAContext. LAContext give a programmatic interface for evaluating authentication policies, managing credentials, access controls as well as invalidating authentication contexts.
To create an authentication context, you need to initialize the new context with LaContext function (LAContext()) that help to check the availability of biometric authentication in the system and setup for biometric authentication.
After successful initialization, you can set a policy to evaluate using LAPolicy function. LAPolicy functions can be classified into two:
- DeviceOwnerAuthenticatioWithBiometrics: this is a function restrict the
user to use only biometric authentication on the device.
- DeviceOwnerAuthentication: this gives application to authenticate the
user using either biometric or password.
If you opt for deviceOwnerAuthenticatioWithBiometrics, then the application will not be able to accept any other form of authentication methods such as username and password. Although this option, gives a perfect security solution, it does not give a chance in case the biometric authentication system fails. If you use DeviceOwnerAuthentication, then the user has an option to bypass biometric authentication and adopt another form of authentication.
Guide to Developing Face ID Authentication:
Touch ID is one of the most secure and familiar authentications that most people trust. If you are considering coming up with an IOS app, it is important to include Face ID authentication in your app. Most users enable face ID authentication because it is the most convenient and trusted form of authentication in a phone. Remember that users can still decide to disable this feature in the phone and it important to give other options while developing your app.
- Only a single way of authentication should be presented to the user at once. For instance, when developing an IOS app, you can present the user with Face ID for authentication. You don’t have to give people to choose what to use. However, you need to include an alternative such as using username and password that will work as a fallback in case the initial authentication method fails.
- Authentication should be initiated by the user’s action such as tapping a button that is designed for authentication. This will ensure that the user is authenticated when the user is facing the camera.
- Label authentication method appropriately: the icon for initiating facial
identification should be labeled appropriately. For instance, a button for
signing with facial ID should be labeled �Sing In with Face ID’.
- Make sure that face ID authentication is supported: make sure that your IOS device supports face ID before incorporating it in your APP. Check device capability or developer guide to check if it is supported.
- Don’t include settings in your app that allows the user to opt into or out of biometric authentication within your application. If the user has set to use Face ID authentication at the system level, assume that is authentication wants for your application. You allow settings at the application level, it may bring
confusion as the user may think that enabling the biometric authentication at
the app level affects the system-wide settings.
- Avoid using icons for system authentication as it can create confusion. For instance, whenever the users see icons that look like a Face ID icon, they will think they are supposed to be authenticated. Such inconsistencies in an application can create confusion especially if the icon is colored, presented in authentication context or appears in a large size.
Biometric authentication is critical when developing a mobile application for iOS as it helps to secure users data. Furthermore, Local Authentication framework is very easy to use and you can now easily develop iOS app Singapore with Face ID authentication features. It uses to be very difficult for users to come up with an effective authentication feature for mobile devices. But since the authentication method has been made available to developers, you can now incorporate Face ID into your app and compete well in the market. You can use social authentication for things like social sign in, system access, data access or something else.